Do your gums seem a little different lately? Does it look as if your teeth are getting longer or your gums are glowing with color? If you have not been caring for them properly, it is likely you are beginning to experience signs of gum disease. Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is caused by an infection to your gum tissues. If left untreated, it is possible for your gums to become destabilized, causing a loss of teeth.
Protect your teeth and gums from gum disease. Here are some indications to watch for:
– Carefully inspect all of your teeth to certify they are not loose, wobbly, or rotating.
– Scrutinize the length of your teeth to ensure they are not becoming longer as the result of your gums pulling back away from them.
– Exercise caution with any medications you may take, as they can often cause dry mouth symptoms, a known origin of gum disease.
– Avoid treacherous habits for your teeth such as smoking and chewing tobacco, as they can greatly increase your risk for gum disease.
– Always check your gum tissue on all corners of your smile for signs of swelling, tenderness, and a general increase in redness.
– Look for indications of bleeding when eating foods or practicing oral hygiene habits such as brushing and flossing.
– Keep track of frequent bad breath, as recurring bad breath can often be a sign of gum disease.
If you would like to have your teeth and gums inspected by our team at E.G.I. Dental, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Warren Cheung and our team at our dentist office in Elk Grove, California. To schedule a visit, please call us at 916-683-1994. We look forward to seeing you soon!