An attractive smile depends on a healthy oral foundation. Your day to day efforts, including brushing and flossing are the basics of a smile free from tooth decay and gum disease.
Your pearly whites thrive when you brush them at least twice each day. Flossing typically needs to be done at least once a day, and many patients choose to do that at the end of the day when eating and snacking are done. You need to be sure to clear away any lingering food particles and bacterial plaque from between the teeth when you floss.
Let’s look at some flossing essentials for your smile.
- When using dental wax or floss, pull out a strip about 18 inches long from the floss dispenser.
- Wind the floss around the middle fingers of your both your hands. Leave about a 1-inch piece available to floss with.
- Start with your top teeth, and push the flossing section gently between the teeth to clean, with your index fingers.
- Slide the floss section up and down, holding it against the tooth. Be sure to move up and around your gum line, and basically you want to create a C-shape around each tooth with the floss.
- Floss behind the back of the teeth and in between each tooth.
- It is important to use a clean section of floss for each tooth, winding the used floss around your fingers, until all of your teeth are clean. This helps to avoid spreading bacteria.
After you brush and floss for the day, you can take an extra step to kill bacteria in the mouth by rinsing with antiseptic mouthwash, this helps cut down on dental plaque which can lead to gum disease. If you are cavity prone, you can use a fluoride rinse to protect tooth enamel.
Along with your daily oral hygiene routine, you can keep your smile safe by seeing your dentist every six months for checkups and cleanings. To schedule your next visit, please give our E.G.I. Dental team a call at 916-683-1994. Dr. Warren Cheung in Elk Grove, California, want to help you maintain your healthy, confident smile!